Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Swindon Supermarine

Post by KOB - 07-08-2022, 09:09

Hartley Wintney v Swindon Supermarine, Saturday 6th August 2022, Southern League Premier Division South
Match Report by David Graham

Swindon Supermarine got their season off to an excellent start following a comfortable win over 10 man Hartley Wintney.

After an even start, Marine gained an edge and went ahead on 19 minutes. A long ball into the Row penalty area saw Marine's Harry Williams gain possession before he was pulled down. The resulting penalty was converted by JAMES HARDING (0-1).

On 28 minutes Marine almost doubled their lead when a ball into the Hartley area again saw Williams in possession, and his shot produced a good save from Adam Desbois in the Hartley goal.

The first Row effort arrived four minutes later. A good cross from the left by Jake Rumble found Kyen Nicholas, whose first-time shot brought out a good save from Connor Johns in the Marine goal. Four minutes later, Zack Kotwica managed to get behind the Hartley defence and brought out a smart save from Desbois, the Row keeper.

Hartley's hopes took a dip in a period of 3 minutes late in the first half. On 38 minutes, Anis Nuur received a straight red card after a tackle that was deemed dangerous by referee Daniel D'Urso. Two minutes later, the Marine created a chance for Harding, who saw his parting shot finger tipped over the bar by Desbois. Then on 41 minutes Marine added a second goal. The Row were unable to clear their lines from a left-wing corner by George Dowling, and TOM SHARPE blasted the ball into the roof of the net from close range (0-2).

Approaching half time and Williams had an effort saved by Desbois.


Despite playing with 10 men, the Row improved in the second period. However, it was the Marine who should have added a third on 56 minutes. Henry Spalding crossed from the right, allowing Harding to set-up Williams, who missed the goal from close range.

On 60 minutes Hartley had a chance from a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area. Matt Drage hit a well struck shot which was pushed over by Johns.

Swindon Supermarine created another chance on 68 minutes when Spalding got free down the right and his cross found Harding, who saw his shot saved by Desbois. The Row then had a real let off on 75 minutes when Kotwica breached the offside trap and his fierce shot crashed against the inside of the post before rebounding to safety. Two minutes later, a move down the left found Conor McDonagh in space and his shot was tipped around the post by Desbois.

With Hartley attempting to push forward, gaps were being left for the Marine to exploit, and on 81 minutes they added a third. Williams set-up CONOR McDONAGH who fired home from the edge of the box (0-3).

The Row finished well, with substitute Zidan Akers looking lively. On 90 minutes, Akers made good progress down the left and his near post shot brought out a good stop from Johns. Into added time and Hartley almost grabbed a consolation goal following a scramble in the Marine goalmouth. [D Graham]


Attendance: 282
Entertainment 3/5

Hartley Wintney Man of the Match: ADAM DESBOIS

After the game, joint manager Ty Newton spoke with David.

"We were reasonably happy with the start, which was even. Obviously the sending off was a pivotal moment in the match. I felt Anis seemed to slip as he made the tackle. I imagine some refs would issue a yellow card and some a red, which for us was unfortunate. This left us with an uphill struggle."

Ty continued, "I felt we should have defended the second goal better. We probably had three chances to get the ball to safety. The second half saw a much more spirited display, but of course as we pushed forward gaps were always going to appear at the back.

"I felt Marine were a good, well-organised side. Adam Desbois had a very good game in goal for us and made some good saves. For our next match we must show the same spirit we showed in the second half from the start."

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Adam Desbois, Aaron Goode, Jake Rumble, George Spiers, Matt Drage, Toby Nevile, Aaron McLeish-White, Anis Nuur, Kyen Nicholas, Harry Cooksley (c), Kingsley Eshun.
SUBS: Isaac Charles (on), Youel Emmanuel, Zidan Akers (on), Reese Jones (on), Kofi Halliday
  • KOB

    07-08-2022, 09:23

    Reading Tyler's excellent Twitter updates from afar was painful yesterday. Reading David's match report really only adds to the sense that we were well beaten. Losing Anis obviously made things very much more difficult. Even so, but for Adam's work in goal it sounds like we could have shipped 6 or 7. Yes it's a reshuffled side from last season and needs time to bed in, and on paper the squad looks strong, but that shocks me after the decent pre-season we had. Of course we don't know how much of the beating was down to the quality in the Marine side - we'll only know as the season progresses - but I hope those who witnessed the game will be able to come on here and post some positives to take away from it.
    • VINTY

      07-08-2022, 10:40

      Ouch, with a new management team in place, this was not
      supposed to happen, giving a silly penalty away and having a man sent off in the first half , the game was all over and they
      could have had a hatful of goals. But it is only the first game
      of the season and anything can happen and the lads have got to put the result behind them and concentrate on the next game. But they will have to stop haranging the ref over decisions he made, leave it and walk away and accept them, because I suspect they may have in some way influenced his sending off decision!!!!! Before making any judgments we have to give the management time to adjust the balance of
      the side so they work as a team and cover each other and cut
      out the long ball more as it was gobbled up by their big defenders. Anyway I am sure the management will be
      installing confidence this week back into the side, the fans will keep faith with the lads, and who knows next week may bring a different result and we all go home happy. THATS FOOTBALL. UP THE ROW